Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Spring 2014: Navigating Career Options class and Career Success Certificate

Navigating Career Options, General Studies 350D (SLN: 14357)
http://www.washington.edu/students/timeschd/SPR2014/genst.html
Curious how to link college to careers? Do you need to choose a major? Not sure what academic and career options are out there? Interested in finding ‘what is right for you’? Looking for support in figuring things out? 
Course Topics: * Strengths & Self Exploration * Career & Academic Options/Exploration * Experiential Learning; Internships * Job and Internship Searching * Social Media * Professional Networking * Resumes, Cover Letters & Interviewing * Career Fairs * Informational Interviewing. 
This career and academic exploration course is offered primarily for 1st and 2nd year students and/or for new transfer students. This class is targeted to students who have earned roughly 0-105 credits. General Studies 350D, Navigating Career Options, is a 3 credit course (graded CR/NC) and includes a lecture and quiz sections. Students register for the lecture and one quiz section. We are team-teaching this class. Guest speakers from throughout our campus and city will interact with students in both the lecture and sections. There is no text book for this course. Course materials will be provided.  For questions about this class, please email or call Patrick Chidsey (206.616.5803, chidsey@uw.edu).
For students exceeding 105 credits, yet interested in career support and information, they are encouraged to access Career Center offerings, including our awesome Career Success Certificate program (which offers students a structured yet flexible plan for optimizing career and job-search success), in-house and online workshops, big, medium and small career and employer events, career counseling appointments and much more. 
http://careers.washington.edu/
http://careers.washington.edu/Students/Career-Success-Certificate
Quotes from students who took Navigating Career Options in 2013:

·         This class was a great time to think back about who I am and what I want for my career. I guess this class was the first major step toward my career. I really appreciate that.
·         This class was very helpful and I feel everyone should take it their freshmen year or as soon as possible The assignments really pushed me to do things I had intended to do … taking the class gave me the time incentive to do them now
·         I liked the generally positive focus on finding a career path
·         I am very glad and grateful to have signed up for this class. I am not the most reflective person at times and this class has challenged me to be more introspective. And just taking the time to reflect, which is something I don't do enough to admit.
·         I really liked how comforting this class was. Often before attending college, we are stressed into choosing our majors but this class helped ease that stress. I highly recommend this class and went from having zero confidence and insecurity to having more confidence
·         This class forced me to be proactive in thinking about a career
·         I’ve already given other people advice on what I’ve learned in this class. Everyone should take this class.
·         After taking this class, I feel that whatever my career maybe, it does not necessarily define who I am, and my major as well. It has given me a lot of insight and information that will surely be useful in my upcoming years in university.
·         This class has helped me become braver in my career choices. At first I was scared and afraid of my decisions because of the potential of failure as well as low income. But after hearing other people's stories and passions it had led me to decide to follow my own passion rather than taking the easy and safe way out.
·         This class has mostly changed my thinking about my career path by replacing my panic and desperation with calmness and hope. I know that I can present myself well and aim my skills at any job I might want with the tools this course has provided me. Thanks so much!!