NOW HIRING: Educational & Residential Group Leader/Tutor
Math Academy is a four-week residential summer program for rising high school seniors. The ultimate goal of Math Academy is to increase the diversity of student’s successfully completing engineering degrees and entering the STEM workforce. The program is designed to help high school students better prepare themselves for college-level mathematics and engineering coursework at the UW. The curriculum focuses on intensive problem solving based mathematics derived from UW math texts, and will help students gain an awareness of the areas that they need to improve in order to be a competitive applicant to the UW College of Engineering.
The Educational & Residential Group Leader will be responsible for providing: supervision, mentorship and leadership to students during program activities; instructional and tutoring assistance during study sessions; grading assistance to course instructors; and ensuring student safety and responsibility in dormitory settings.
The specific duties of this individual would be to:
- Attend daily math lecture with students
- Help students with math and engineering assignments and projects
- Read and comment/correct homework assignments and exams
- Supervise and engage students during afternoon workshops, meals, activities and field trips
- Assist with organization, supervision, and facilitation of evening and weekend recreation activities
- Supervising students in residence halls (on duty some weeknights and scheduled weekends): ensuring students are getting to bed and getting up on time for breakfast and morning classes; cooperating with housing staff to enforce quiet hours
Additional Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Media coverage of program activities including photos, video and website management
- Creating and facilitating engineering activities, tours, leadership activities, social events
Work Schedule & Compensation: Due to the residential nature of our program, long hours are required. However, we provide generous compensation, free housing and meals, and great work experience!
Summary of qualifications:
- Engineering students strongly preferred; pre-engineers and related majors also encouraged to apply
- Previous math tutoring experience, and history working with children, teenagers, or students required
- Experience in residential/dormitory settings preferred
- Comfort with serving as an authority figure essential
- Demonstrated leadership skills; experience and interest in working with diverse groups/minority students
- Enthusiasm for and appreciation of the field of engineering
Submit cover letter, resume and unofficial transcript by Friday, April 5 to: Math Academy, Box 352180, Loew Hall 301, Seattle, WA 98195 ATTN: Angela Del Cid or email@example.com