Engineering Operations, Technical Support Engineer
T-Mobile’s Technical Support Engineering team is responsible for providing operational support for T-Mobile’s GSM, UMTS, LTE and data networks. The role requires investigation of customer-impacting network issues and provides technical guidance to field engineers and technicians who are troubleshooting and repairing these complex computer systems. The required support is performed over a wide array of platforms encompassing 4 main areas, Core Network, Radio Access Network, Mobile Internet and Messaging, and IP Transport Network.
For this internship, the intern will be part of a team responsible for the investigation and resolution of network-related faults reported by T-Mobile customers. The candidate will develop a good understanding of T-Mobile’s wireless network design, including the latest Mobile Internet services. Then intern will also gain hands-on knowledge of the Cisco LTE Serving & Packet Gateway (S/PGW) and GPRS Gateway Support Node (GGSN) as well as the Nokia-Siemens Mobility Management Entity (MME) and Serving GPRS Support Node (SGSN) platforms. The intern will need to collaborate with other Engineering Design and Support teams in order to understand call flows, network and product design, and will need to talk directly with the T-Mobile subscriber to understand the end-user experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Investigate and resolve customer issues reported by the CARE organization.
2) Contact with customers to confirm the issue has been resolved or collect additional information.
3) Response to system faults, driving to resolution & proceeding to recurrence prevention
3) Update troubleshooting flows provided to CARE as needed.
4) Execute network changes in accordance with the approved Method of Procedure.
Basic Understanding of Internet Protocols such as IP, TCP, UDP and HTTP,
Experience with Unix/Linux operating systems and basic shell scripting,
Knowledge of GSM and GPRS Protocols such as GSM MAP and GSM DTAP preferred,
Strong verbal and written communication skills,
No previous work experience required. This is an entry-level Engineering position.
* Senior year student enrolled in a technical degree program such as Engineering or Computer Science.