Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Unpaid internships in engineering are not often offered, but it does occur. When students are offered unpaid positions I’m here to advocate on your behalf. The article linked below shows how far reaching the clamp-down on unpaid internships has progressed. We want to discourage EE students from accepting unpaid engineering-related “job” offers. Not only does the practice erode the integrity of paid internships for other students, it might even be found to be an illegal practice.
Monday, June 10, 2013
Responsible for the performance of entry level, basic engineering duties for the proper pre-production and production sample testing and evaluation of wireless products and related accessories, primarily within a laboratory setting. GSM OR CDMA test engineer performs lab and field tests using standard test procedures to insure customer quality assurance, to proactively test products in conformance to GSM OR CDMA standards, STA customer quality assurance requirements, and for common carrier and specific customer feature and applications operability. Drafts test procedures for all accessories and terminals in accordance with customer product standards, customer feature requirements, and infrastructure adaptations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following: Other duties may be assigned. In this position, either directly or through others, the incumbent will:
· Performs Wireless Terminal and Accessory testing as directed by senior engineers and supervisory staff, uses entry level engineering field service skills and knowledge. Performs laboratory tests and evaluates new Wireless Products and Accessories, including the verification of product features by simulation of a variety of customer applications and infrastructure conditions and in conformance with GSM OR CDMA standards and specifications.
· Interfaces proactively and effectively with corporate Korean manufacturing engineering teams, US support team and other lab members, STA, SEC, various client carriers and infrastructure companies’ engineering personnel.
· Performs semi-routine and routine laboratory application tests to evaluate user interface software for quality, standards performance, functionality conformance and adaptation to insure the interoperability of system products. Uncovers and report all hardware and software anomalies that can be found.
· Makes recommendations to management personnel of corrective actions that may be made to effectively and timely adapt agreed upon solutions.
· Prepares proofs and maintains a library of test standards, manuals, new or adapted technical and/or user manuals for clarity and accuracy, recommending changes where appropriate.
· Compiles test results data and writes required equipment engineering reports, test plans and follow-up procedures to ensure that STA Wireless Product comply with GSM OR CDMA Standards.
· Works effectively as a team member with other laboratory engineers, Field Support personnel, engineers and Product Development Team members.
Background/Experience to qualify for this position, the following minimal background and skill levels are required:
· An Associate of Arts or Bachelor's Degree in engineering or related electronics technical training in cellular/GSM OR CDMA from two or four-year college or university is preferred
· Be strong interested in IT and wireless product unless you have electronics technical training.
· Have between 0-2 years technical or telecommunications engineering related experience.
· Must have 2+ years of reading, analyzing and interpreting technical journals and procedures.
Necessary Skills/Attributes for this position the following skills and abilities must be demonstrated at a proficient level:
· Develops and maintains excellent proactive, working relationships with all appropriate levels within and outside the company.
· Plans, organizes and prioritizes multiple engineering support assignments and projects as directed by the manager of the group and/or other departmental leaders.
· Reads, interprets and acts on proper understanding of technical documents, engineering test materials and contracts or related documents based on corporate legal and customer applications, engineering standards and philosophy.
· Demonstrates competency in communication skills using both oral and written modes for internal and external personnel at all management and staff organizational levels for both persuasion in product manufacturing decision activities and/or the communication of technical information. Must be able to communicate in writing, through email and reports, or orally complex technical matters to an audience that may include less technically oriented or listeners.
· Works independently and in a team environment, in order to achieve personal and team goals and complete assignments within established time frames. Tasks are guided by clearly defined objectives and functional direction with an implied knowledge of task alternatives and decision making experience to guide the incumbent.