As a member of the Production Department reporting to the Department Manager, the Operations Engineer is responsible for improving the efficiency and organizing the flow of raw materials in a production facility by utilizing best practice engineering principles.
Understand the waste, speed, and delay design for each product on each machine, then meets or exceeds design by:
· Developing and implementing plans that reduces scrap, improves paint yield, and improves laminate yield;
· Creating and updating process maps for each machine; i.e. Identifying and removing bottle necks in process;
· Identifying all delay and developing and implementing plans that close the delay gaps;
· Driving collaboration between respective departments that ensures all issues are addressed and resolved;
· Communicating on the production floor with all associated operators to ensure continuous improvement in the manufacturing process; and
· Networking with other engineers in all plants to freely share best practices.
· Troubleshooting problems and making adjustments to process to maintain and/or improve quality.
Routinely verifies conformance of material being produced to meet or exceed the quality standard by:
· Monitoring lab results; and
· Participating in quality audits and meetings.
Designs and implements process improvements to improve operations efficiency and product cost by:
· Analyzing process performance issues and developing plans to improve;
· Analyzing data and determining inconsistencies in raw material processing; and
· Assessing operations to propose and implement ideas to improve employee working conditions.
Develops and manages capital projects by:
· Identifying improvement opportunities;
· Organizing teams to help in research efforts;
· Writing Capital Expenditure Requests (CER); and
· Coordinating and implementing projects.
The position responsibilities outlined above are in no way to be construed as all encompassing. Other duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may be required and/or assigned as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Demonstrated ability to effectively take action to solve problems while exhibiting sound judgment and successful stress tolerance.
· Demonstrated ability to act independently upon information and make decisions that achieve optimal results.
· Strong interpersonal and written/oral communication skills with the ability to relate well and cooperate with others to effectively coordinate activities and accomplish goals.
· Demonstrated intermediate skills with the standard features of various personal computer word processing and spreadsheet software (Microsoft Word and Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Internet, and other proprietary software).
· Demonstrated ability to think ahead and plan over a 30-day time span and prepare action plans to achieve results.
· Ability to balance and achieve positive results in the areas of quality, productivity and cost.
· Ability to successfully manage multiple tasks and prioritize workload while paying attention to detail.
· Demonstrated ability to function as a strong team player.
· Bachelor’s Degree in engineering (mechanical, chemical, industrial, paper science).
· Experience in troubleshooting electrical control systems on continuous production lines including programmable logic control (PLC) and variable frequency drive systems (VFD) is a bonus.
Phone: (253) 875-2332
Technical Services Group
18200 50th Avenue East
Tacoma, WA 98446
Email � Eric.Wood@jameshardie.com