Washington State Ferries (WSF) Terminal Engineering group has a summer internship program available for 2016. WSF is looking for a mechanical or electrical 2nd or 3rd year engineering student who will have emphasis in electrical power, mechanical machine design or hydraulics. They will assist with electrical/mechanical field data gathering and inspections of the movable bridges at WSF ferry facilities along with Arc Flash studies, lighting, utility inventory and mechanical design. The person will be teamed up with mechanical or electrical engineers along with craftsman for duties mentioned above for each facility. Time will be spent about 50/50 between the office and out in the field.
The intern will learn
· How the movable bridge systems works
· How to assess what the areas of concern are during inspection
· How to complete the inspection documentation forms
· How to follow safety procedures and utilizing safety equipment
· How to gather and enter data for Arc Flash Studies
· How to design using the National electrical code (NEC) and mechanical codes.
How hydraulic power systems and wire rope hoist are used to move large structures and key concepts of system design.
The intern will perform the following work
· Climbing and crawling in and around the structures to gathers data
· Learn and use safety equipment during inspection
· Assessing wire rope cable systems, hydraulic systems, power systems, PLC systems, a variety of sensors used to evaluate systems.
· Assisting in completion of inspection and report documenting the findings.
· Electrical student will have additional opportunity to assist with electrical studies which focus on lighting systems as well as arc flash studies.
· Take electrical measurements using various meters
· Mechanical student will have an opportunity to work in researching design solutions taking pressure readings and assisting in design aspects of mechanical systems. Also to design changes to these systems and prepare plans, specification and estimates to accomplish the work.
Start Date Summer 2016 (12 weeks)
To submit your interest in applying send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, April 15, 2018. It is in your best interest to apply as soon as possible as the hiring manager will be reviewing candidates as they come in and reserves the right to offer an internship at his discretion.