Electrical engineering design | Development of atmospheric instruments
Field deployment and operation of EOL atmospheric instruments, primarily the dropsonde systems.
EOL serves the advanced observational needs of the atmospheric science community by providing a flexible, state‐of‐the‐art backbone measurement capability applicable to a wide range of experimental needs ‐ emphasizing advanced sensor capabilities, sensor integration, system mobility, and the ability to deploy to remote or difficult locations throughout the world. A wide range of electrical engineering technologies is used in these instruments, including RF/analog, digital, embedded and communications systems. The Dropsonde system flies on NSF/NCAR’s aircraft, the NASA Global Hawk UAS, and many other aircraft worldwide, all having a significant impact in helping atmospheric scientists better understand severe weather like typhoons, hurricanes, and severe thunderstorms. This job provides the opportunity to be involved with all aspects of the instrument that has direct societal impacts.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and at least one year of engineering experience; OR
- an equivalent combination of education and experience (including internships and labs).
Job Activities include:
- Work as part of a team to research, design, develop, integrate, test and troubleshoot specialized atmospheric instrumentation with emphasis on electronic circuit and embedded systems development and data analysis tools for atmospheric observations.
- Provide engineering manufacturing support to the production of dropsondes and proactive engineering planning/design for upgrades.
- Perform engineering system design and performance analysis using Computer Aided Design (CAD) simulator tools.
- Perform final instrument system testing, field set‐up and field operations, and travel to the field in support of observations.
- Produce professional engineering documentation for instruments and projects.
Apply online at http://ucarcareers.silkroad.com/